Sunday, September 24, 2006

10 songs that make me remember......

This is inspired by Elizabeth's CJ topic. But we had to pick only 3 songs. At first I wasn't sure what to pick- but then quickly realized how many songs I could list!!! So here are 10 that I randomly picked

The Next Episode- Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog
This is one of the all time best college/party songs EVER. whenever i hear this song i just want to bust out a little c-walking. not that i ever knew how. but thats what the music makes me want to do. freshman and sophmore year in isla vista we would hear this song every weekend night (thursday - saturday) and would know thats where the party was at. the best part is the very end when EVERYONE tries to sing that last line in time. so fun

Ladies Night- Lil' Kim, Missy Elliot, DaBrat and other fabulous rappin women
My highschool girlfriends would probably tell you I totally overplayed this song. But i loved it! I was all about our "Ladies' Nights" when the girls would get together and get into trouble (ok, maybe not really get into trouble- but we'd have fun!) and every mixed-tape I would make (before CD burning was around) it would have this song. Just reminds me of hanging out with my ladies :)

Shoop- Salt n Pepa
SO seventh grade. And one of the first songs I memorized every word to. Makes me think of 7th grade dances, when all the girls would be seperated from all the boys, and we'd sing this song. LOVE it

California Girls- Beach Boys
The Beach Boys are the first musical group that I ever got into. In second grade. My friends and I totally thought this song was all about us- we were afterall "California Girls." I remember trying to sing this song word for word at sleepovers, and the night my parents went to a Beach Boys concert and didnt' bring me. It was at Shoreline ampitheater, which was notorious for being "too loud"- so I sat up in my treehouse with my best friend Jessica and we SWORE we could hear them singing Califronia Girls.

Better Together- Jack Johnson
I could list pretty much every Jack Johnson song here and have it make me think of something- but this particular song will always have the most meaning to me. It was Steve and my first dance at our wedding. We took dance classes and learned a rhumba to it. We practiced everynight for weeks- and it came out perfectly when we performed it. Oh how i Love the Jack man. and the song. We can still do the dance. And we're still better together.....

Pretty Woman- Roy Orbison
Cheeseburger in Paradise- Jimmy Buffet
Red-headed Stranger- Willie Nelson
Unchained Melody- The Righteous Brothers
Just a few of the songs that make me think of my Dad. We'd be driving around in Pancho (now my trusty green suburban) and when any of these songs came on- or he'd stick them in the CD player- my dad would turn it up FULL BLAST and sing on the top of his lungs!!!! We used to pretend to be embarassed or annoyed, but my brothers and I got a total kick out of it. And I always thought it was sweet when he would sing Unchained Melodies to my mom :) If it werent' for my dad, I wouldn't have learned to appreciate nearly as much music as I do today.

End of the Road- Boys II Men
This song was played at the end of every dance, and the one I remember most is the end of the 8th grade promotion dance. No longer in Junior High- moving up to big old High School. and we all cried. such drama. But i still love this song. Fitting for the last song on my short list.

So many other songs I could list. Seriously. But these are just a few that come to mind. Super fun cj topic Elizabeth- thanks!!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to see your page in the CJ. It was tough to narrow it to three. I LOVE what music can do.
You took me back to the day.. rap and stuff!!.. and all those songs that just put you in the partay mood =).. they never get old!
that is SO cool that you guys did the rhumba to JJ.. so awesome!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Levi said...

speaking of songs, I have to figure out musics ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Jill H said...

how fun!! it is crazy how a song can just take you back to a time and place.

7:43 PM  
Blogger justem said...

Love this! I am super excited to get Elizabeth's cj!

8:36 PM  
Blogger darcy said...

How fun to read your list. You took me back, that's for sure!!! So, so fun, Kat!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Love all the music you chose!! Can't wait to do the CJ!!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an awesome post! Those songs bring back some good memories for me too! Boys II Men...End of the Road....totally everyone's "couple song" in 8th grade! I definitely remember it being played at our dances!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Odette said...

ha ha, I can't believe you know how to "c-walk" I wanted to learn so bad. I was at a wedding two years ago and the "young ones" were doing it and I tried to learn. (Reminder---I was NOT sober) Love these songs!

9:18 PM  
Blogger BRANDY said...

Here i go, Here I go, Here I go again, what's my weakness? Men. Okay then ((singing)) Now I have that song stuck in my head.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, e-mail me at nlehrman@gmail.com so I can get your address to mail you something!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Ok Kat this is the greatest post EVER. Soo many of these songs I have such good memories with. next episode especially, did you live in IV?! we used to party there every weekend! Del Playa...good times

Shoop: me and my sister memorized every word and we still sing it to eachother, LOL. Every time we are hanging out we put it on. And I sooo remember mixed tapes, where you would like quickly press record when your fav song came on the radio and when you listened to it you would hear the radio announcer.

This summer when I went to Jamaica I bought my dad a shirt from a real Margaritaville that said cheeseburger in paradise, and I made sure to eat a cheese burger too! I love that freakin song!

Better together is the song Michael and I chose for our first dance (really sentimental for us), and we were JUST talking the other day about HOW we were going to dance to it! I will have to tell him we gotta learn the Rhumba.

You rock, thanks for posting this, I am so stealing it!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home